Designated the RY-3, a new four-engine cargo-transport airplane is being manufactured by Consolidated Vultee at the comany's San Diego plant for the U. S. avy and RAF Transport Command.
Powered by four 1,350-hp Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp engines, the RY-3, a development of Convair's Privateer PB4Y-Z, has a gross weight of about 60,000 lb, and carries a useful load of approximately 30,000 lb. This can include 28 passengers, or 26 litters as an ambulance plane, plus a crew of four. Range is more than 3,000 mi. Span is 110', height slightly over 29'., and length is 75' 5".
Fuselage interior has a compartment in the nose for luggage and cargo. Aft of this and in the lower part of the uselage is the nose landing gear well. Directly over the nose gear compartment is the flight deck. Behind the flight deck is the main passenger and cargo section. Stowage room for life raft equipment and also compact toilet facilities are situated in this latter section.
The RY-3 wing is an adaptation of the Davis-design Liberator wing. A two-spar structure, it is made up of a center section with wing flaps, two outer panels fitted with ailerons, and removable wing tips. Self-sealing fuel cells are between the center section spars, and an oil tank is on the mount inside each engine nacelle.
One of the plane's outstanding features is the single-rudder tail assembly, which creates less drag than double-rudder assemblies such as used on former Convair designs.
A new hot air system is employed for cabin heating and to prevent ice formation. It uses engine exhaustgases to heat air, which is then distribuded through ducts to all parts of the airplane. Design work on the RY-3 started in October, 1943, and a prototype first flew about six months later.
|Specifications and Data|
|Gross wt||about 60,000 lb|
|Useful load||about 30,000 lb|
|Top speed||over 250 mph|
|Range||over 3,000 mi|
|Power plants||Four 1,350-hp P&W Twin Wasps|
|Propellers||Hamilton Standard Hydromatics|
This article was originally published in the "Flying Equipment" section of the May, 1945, issue of Aviation magazine, vol 44, no 5, p 169.
The original article includes two photos: passenger section, seen from forward, and plane in flight, seen from9 o'clock.
Plane photo credited to Otto Menge.