United Aircraft Corporation was the product of the breakup of United Aircraft & Transport Company under the terms of the Air Mail Act of 1934. After the breakup, UAC consisted at that time of Chance Vought Corp, Hamilton Standard Propeller Co, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Co, and Sikorsky Aviation Corp. In 1939, Vought and Sikorsky were merged into Vought-Sikorsky Division of UAC. In 1943, Vought-Sikorsky was split into Chance Vought Aircraft Division and Sikorsky Aircraft Division.
United Aircraft & Transport Company controlled
Hamilton-Standard was one of the major sources of warplane propellers in the US. Their Hydromatic was the standard prop for many manufacturers. The other important sources included Curtiss Electric Propllers and the Aeroproducts Division of General Motors.
Hamilton Standard was the product of a merger between Hamilton Aero Manufacturing Co and Standard Steel Propeller Co at the time of formation of United Aircraft & Transport Company. Hamilton Aero was a separate corporation established by T Hamilton, founder of Hamilton Metalplane Co. Planes using their propellers included Liberator, Superfortress, Flying Fortress, Mitchell, Ventura, Havoc, Dauntless, Invader, Hudson, Avenger, Catalina bombers; Mustang, Corsair and Hellcat fighters; C-47, C-53, C-54 and C-69 transports.
"Hamilton Standard Album" [ HTML ] gives a history of the company and describes the development of their various kinds of propellers.
Chance Vought Corporation, named for its founder, Chance M Vought, was absorbed into United Aircraft & Transport Company and remained there through the breakup into United Aircraft Corporation. In 1939 the company was merged with Sikorsky to make the Vought-Sikorsky Division, then in 1943 it was spun off from Vought-Sikorsky to become Chance Vought Aircraft Division. At least partly because of the multiple name changes, it has been customary to refer to "Vought."
The 1943 restructuring set Vought to manufacturing warplanes, while Sikorsky became devoted to developing the helicopter. Jane's lists Chance Vought planes as the F4U Corsair and OS2U Kingfisher. The Kingfisher was also license built by the Naval Aircraft Factory as the OS2N. Vought had also built the SB2U Vindicator, which was designed and specified as a dive bomber but appears to have been used early in the war as a torpedo bomber, to bolster the rather thin ranks of TBDs when it was still believed that the torpedo was to be the weapon of choice against shipping. Neither the SB2U nor the TBD made it into Jane's Fighting Aircraft of World War II, presumably because both were considered obsolescent at the beginning of the war and neither was very effective when used in combat.
Pratt & Whitney began when Frederick Rentschler left Wright Aeronautical to start his own company for developing and producing air-cooled engines. He formed a division of the successful Pratt & Whitney Machine Tool Company. The aviation engine producing group moved to United Aircraft & Transport Company when that company was formed in 1928 as Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Corp.
During the war Pratt & Whitney engines powered
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp was a product of the reorganization of the Vought-Sikorsky Division; it was formed to pursue development of helicopters. During the war years, they developed the R-4, R-5 and R-6 helicopters.
While those downed flyers and wounded fighters rescued or evacuated by early Sikorsky helicopters might feel differently, the machines were never of much interest to me.
Vought-Sikorsky Division of UAC was the 4-year-lived product of the 1939 merger of Chance Vought Corp and Sikorsky Aviation Corp. The planes of Chance Vought were largely developed during this period, but they are listed under the Chance-Vought heading. The only planes attributed to Vought-Sikorsky here are the S-43 Baby Clipper (Army OA-1, Navy JRS-1) and VS-44 (Navy JR2S-1) Excalibur flying boats.