The Dornier Do-217 was the successor to the Do-17 Flying Pencil of the Battle of Britain and its export version, the Do-215. Because of the close relationship and the dearth of articles on the Do-17, they will all be addressed from this page.
- The RAF vs the Axis" [ HTML ] is a six-page pictorial article featuring action and detail photos of British, German and Italian planes, including:
- Do-215 under attack by a Spitfire
- "Fire Power, Range and Gun Arcs of Currently Active German Aircraft" [ PDF, 2 MiB ] shows armament and firing arcs of Do-17, Ju-88, Me-110, and He-111.
- "New German Dive Bomber" [ HTML ] is a news clip announcing recognition of a new type.
- "The Dornier Drogue Harpoon Diving Brake"[ HTML ] describes the structure and operation of the Do-217 dive brake, includes a labeled diagram of the structure.
- "Versatile Bomber Do-217" [ HTML ] gives a fairly detailed analysis of the Do-217.
- "Dive-Bombing Brake" [ HTML ] is a detailed description of the unusual dive brake.
- A news clip from May, 1944, [ HTML ] mentions the Do-217M1 with DB-605 engines.
- Do-17s in flight seen from 2 o'clock low; from"Ten Air Power Lessons for America."[ HTML ]
- A drawing exerpted from"Fire Power, Range and Gun Arcs of Currently Active German Aircraft" [ PDF, 2 MiB ] shows firing zones and vulnerabilities of the Do-17.
- "Fighter Command"
[ HTML ] includes a photo: "An RAF fighter caught this new Dornier Do-217E, shot it down for British engineers to dissect. It has two 1,580-hp engines, range of 1,500 miles at 255 mph."
- A drawing shows the armor arrangement of the Do-17Z and Do-215.
- "The Dornier Drogue Harpoon Diving Brake" [ HTML ] includes a labeled diagram of the dive-brake structure.
- Drawings showing details of the dive brake and the detachable tail of the Do-217.
- "Cutaway of the Dornier DO-217E" shows details of construction of the plane with inserts showing the alternate tailcone and a diagram of the operation of the dive brake.
- "Dive-Bombing Brake" [ HTML ] shows details of the Do-217E dive brake.
- Diagrams from "Jerry's field of fire" [ HTML ] show the defensive fields of fire of Do-17Z and Do-215 and the Do-217E.